Playlist.com


Friday, September 19, 2008

You want me to drink what?!?

Continuing on with risk taking, it is interesting to stop and think of all the wonderful things we have because someone was willing to take a risk. Below is a quote from Calvin and Hobbes that I think helps to make my point and may encourage you to try something new. I used this quote in my classes today as the quote for the day. Every day there is a quote on the board for the students to copy out and respond to. It helps students come into class and get focused, has them start considering ideas from others, and enables them to analyze the quote and respond. We then take a minute to share their thoughts which is also important in an English class.

The quote for today was from Calvin and Hobbes and went like this:

"Who was the first guy that took a look at a cow and said, 'I think I'll drink whatever comes out of these things when I squeeze them?'"

Sometimes trying new things, even things that others might think are odd, can lead to something good. Without a brave soul to first taste the stuff squeezed out of a cow we would not have things like yogurt, milkshakes, cheese, ice cream, and, well, milk. What else might we miss out on if people did not take risks and try new things.

Students were asked to make a post using this quote and to research and comment on a weird but cool invention. In my search to do the same I came across some interesting products. Here is one of my favorites and the site I got it from (with a lot more cool inventions).

Cup and Cookies


You can view this invention and other neat ones at http://www.fwdemails.com/2007/11/24/cool-inventions/

The comment on this invention, by the author of the site, asked how you prevent having the cookies fall out when you drink. I think it is fairly obvious that you simply drink from the side where the cookies aren't. This way the cookies face up instead of down.

If you like cookies and coffee (which I personally really don't) then this is the coffee cup for you.

No comments: