Playlist.com


Friday, November 28, 2008

Acting Woes

So I got to school today to find out that all of my rehearsing the night before, which was a lot, because I have a tough time with memorization, was for nothing. The student I was to be replacing was actually there and I was out of the play, just like that. I felt really bad, worse than I would have thought. I love acting, and I miss not doing it. But I do have a Jr. High drama class next term that I am sooooo looking forward to.

The day was not a complete loss. As it turns out, a girl from the same class (same Act and Scene) was sick and they needed to fill her role--and I was the number one choice. It didn't even phase me that it was a female role; actually it was the new bride to the role I had been studying the night before. It wasn't a big deal; with so many kids in the play there was a lot of gender mixing in the roles, the only difference was that I was the only Hippolyta where the other roles with gender mixing had at least two of the correct gender--Oh, and I was the only teacher in the play and I played a woman. It was good though, I wore the same housecoat, which was Jen's, that I was going to wear, and a grade twelve girl found me a headband with a long and flowing colourful train. It got a good laugh when I first took the stage.

I was a little concerned with having only a couple hours to learn my lines, but it went okay and I did well. It was a great experience and I think helped sell me as a drama teacher to some of the students. Most importantly I had fun, and so did most of the students. The day was a blast!

The only real downfall was that Jen was not able to be there to watch and take some pictures. Which means I have no pics to share here with you. Sorry!

2 comments:

Dave Groff said...

We are proud of you! I remember how much I enjoyed doing the occasional writing/ acting in church with you. It was fun. I haven't found anyone here that I know of to do that with.

I guess my "acting" will be my story telling on Christmas Eve. I guess I should try harder to memorize the whole thing but I never have been able to.

I have done a couple monologue sermons since I've been in this church. I enjoy doing them, but certainly don't consider myself an actor.

Dad

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a true trial by fire. Congrats.