Playlist.com


Friday, November 7, 2008

A Job Well Done

I was pulled into the office today by one of our wonderfully amazing, couldn't live without them, administrative assistants (sometimes referred to as secretaries) who said she needed to talk with me. Now, I don't know about you, but I generally do not get a good feeling deep down in my gut when someone pulls me into an office and says those dreaded words, "We need to talk." I tried to refuse, saying I was on supervision and needed to be patrolling the hallways for hooligan kids, but to no avail.

It turns out that the news was good news. The admin assistant, has a daughter who also attends our school. It turns out her daughter did a fantastic job on an essay (the bane of my teaching career) for social class. Her teacher was amazed, as was her mother because in the past this girl's essays were . . . well they weren't "fantastic jobs." When her mom asked her what happened and how she got a such a good mark, apparently her response was "Mr. Groff." And so, her mom just wanted to let me know how well her daughter was doing and that she thought I was doing a pretty good job.

I know at this point I know you are wondering why you should continue to read the blog of an egotistical jerk so I'll let you know that I walked out of the office today feeling both really good and really bad. It struck me how wonderful it was to hear that someone was actually benefiting from the teaching I had been doing. It's usually a rarity to hear such things in the teaching profession. But it also struck me that every single person in this world could probably use the pick-me-up of "A Job Well Done." It also struck me at how rarely I, myself, let others know when I appreciate all they have done for; and that left me feeling pretty bad about myself.

So, I would like to say a few thank you's to some of the people who have been a big help to me.

Thank you my wonderful and loving wife, Jennifer, for all the hard work you do looking after a home and kids and me on top of the job you have outside the house. I know there are a lot of times when I don't make it easy. And thank you for sticking by me through all the years of school when things were not always working in our favour.

Thank you Knox and Declan and Oakley for being great kids with a great sense of humour and an innocence that often makes me stop and smile. You brighten up my day.

Thank you Mom and Dad for raising me with strong Christian values and doing the best job you could with a kid who usually seemed not to care about the lessons you tried to teach. You did good and I am thankful for all you did for me out of love.

Thank you Ron and Val for being who you are. We had some good times, and some not so good time growing up, but I want you to know I care about you and wish the best for you.

Thank you Mom and Dad Kivell for all your help over the years, both financially and practically. Dad you are always a source of wisdom and mom you are always there to lend a hand.

Thank you Cam for your friendship. Even now I get excited and impatient at the thought of visiting with you and Jodi. Your friendship got me through high school in one piece and it's good to know you are always there to listen.

Thank you Harry Lent for all that you taught me about teaching in the 9 weeks I was in your classroom. Your advice and respect was greatly appreciated and extremely helpful as I continue my teaching career.

Thank you Roxie for exceeding my expectations for what a principal could be. I was quite nervous my first year, but you have always been there to answer my questions and to support me.

And, though it may seem trite, thank you God for your love and mercy. Thank you for carrying me through the rough times and thank you for allowing the good times.


I could go on and on and on and on, but I won't right now. What I will do is try to say thank you to people a little more often and let you know how much I appreciate all you and what you do for me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your Welcome!!!! ;D!! Love ya lots!

John K said...

Hey Jon,
My heart leapt whjen I read about the incident at school. What a wonderful affirmation of your calling!

How rewarding it can be when we realize we may have made a difference in someone's life. But at the same time, and with this you might agree, how humbling it should be as well. I think that whether you are a teacher at a school, a parent of children or in a Christian ministry, God has place people in our care, and we must view our relationship to them in relation to our own standing before Him. He has done much more for us in Christ than we could ever possibly equal or repay.
But we love (both Him and others) because He first loved us, and out of that love, comes our obedience and our service.
Keep it up.

Dave Groff said...

I just read your blog out loud here at home and your Uncle Mike says, "Congratulations young fella."